Writing in My Head

I've been pretty busy in real life the past couple days, but I've also been working on a short story. This is something I wrote several years ago because it popped into my head while I was looking at a photo. It wasn't polished and it didn't have too much personality. I was busy with a different project and moved it to my Stories folder.

During some cleanup last week, I pulled it out and knew what needed to be done to make it sellable. So I worked on it a little bit every day, and when I read it over found it still had a couple rough spots.

I fixed one, but the other still bugged me. During all the busy time, this snippit kept playing over and over in my head like a broken record. Finally it came to me last night. I'm going to go back and reread it today and see if I still like it.

This is how writers are. We write even when we aren't writing at the computer. We think about writing while we're busy shopping or cooking or playing with the dogs.

As readers we do much the same thing, especially if we're truly engrossed in a book. I know some of you will read through day and night until you finish, but I've never done that. I like to savor the story and characters and keep them around for a while. So while I'm doing other things, I'll think about the book I'm reading and wonder if this or that will happen.

At least this is how it is with me. What about you?

Comments

.